Tuesday 3 April 2012

Free..

This is yet another blog i was meant to have written a week or so ago that was really important to me but of which i totally didn't get time to write. I do one of these every year and it never changes...i think...the amount of people i am going to send it to will be less..but still.
6 years ago on the 26th this amazing guy called Gweedo passed away whilst in a group of Young Americans who were touring at the time in the UK...and this story it still touches my heart in every single way...its why i write about it every year. If you want more details go read previous blogs written on the 26th...but basically this cast taught me strength, they taught me courage and they taught me hope...no matter how hard life gets...they helped me have hope.. It's weird because even though it was six years ago and now i have taken ten workshops including in Germany...the one with UK 2006 is the one i remember the most...still after all the time..and no matter what and where i go..when i walk into that workshop...i feel that cast, and Gweedo.  In the past three workshops i have taken the YA have sung part of the Beatles medley as an intro to the kids and every time it takes all of my not to cry...because that was in our show (like town kid part) way back then.  I always sing with them.
Anyway...I wanted to write a blog dedicated to him, and the one good thing about me writing it a little late is that i can honestly say Gweedo is still so greatly loved, admired and remembered.  I've seen so many messages over the past week that have brought tears to my eyes.
Whenever we learn if we hold on together at the end of the show... we are told that this song is sung, in every country, in every workshop and has been for something like 25 years i think it was. It's always, along with lion king, the time i remember that cast and the words of the director which still ring in my head as if they were spoken yesterday.
'now we could not have worked together has closely as we have for the past two and half days without some friendships forming, and some of these friendships, will last long after the applause dies from this hall, and maybe, just maybe, some friendships will last a lifetime. And need i say anymore this last song says it perfectly. 'If we hold on together'
i remember the tears and the emotion that went into that song and now whenever i take a workshop i remember that and make sure that on the line 'As high as souls can fly' i look upwards a send a kiss to heaven.  
Uk cast yet another year and you still change my life every single day...like little things you guys done will affect the things that lead to big things for me now.  
i am so happy i will get to see some of you again this year, it literally excites me so much... and the fact i get to see beautiful Rhonda makes me even more excited...although i'm certainly going to cry one HELL of a lot..
Please know i still admire you all, your strength and you courage you are all beautiful
Thank you  
xx


(This blog was for Gweedo)  

No comments: